Jeffrey Zimmerman has over 20 years of experience representing individuals facing a broad range of criminal charges, from white collar prosecutions to capital cases. Jeff also specializes in defending individuals and entities in civil and criminal forfeiture matters. He is a member of the Virginia and District of Columbia bars and practices in federal trial and appellate courts nationwide.
Jeff has been named in the list of preeminent lawyers in the field of criminal defense by Virginia Super Lawyers and as a Top Criminal Defense Lawyer by Northern Virginia Magazine. He is a frequent speaker on forfeiture litigation and federal criminal matters. He has been featured in various media including the New York Times, National Public Radio, and CNN.
Jeff is a life member of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (NACDL) and has served on its Board of Directors since 2014. He currently chairs the Elections Committee and co-chairs the Membership Committee. He also founded and chairs the Social Media Committee. In 2015, Jeff received a NACDL President’s Commendation for distinguished service.
Jeff is a graduate of American University, Washington College at Law, where he also served as Adjunct Faculty. He received his undergraduate degree, with a major in biology and minor in theater, from Oberlin College.
Get in touch
Finding the right attorney to represent you is a choice not to be taken lightly. Book a free consultation to walk you through your needs, the scope of your goals, and your budget.
AMERICAN UNIVERSITY, WASHINGTON COLLEGE OF LAW
Juris Doctor Cum Laude, 1995
B.A., Biology, Minor in Theater, 1989
- Virginia State Bar
- District of Columbia Bar
- United States Supreme Court
- Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- United States District Court for the Western District of Virginia
- United States District Court for the District of Columbia
- United States District Court for the District of Colorado
Honors and Awards
- Virginia Super Lawyers (2018)
- Top Criminal Defense Lawyer, Northern Va. Magazine (2015)
- NACDL President's Commendation (2015)
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Director
- Chair, NACDL Elections Committee
- Chair, NACDL Social Media Committee
- Co-Chair, NACDL Membership Committee
- Alexandria Bar Association
- Adjunct Faculty, American University, Washington College of Law (1995-1997)
- Asset Forfeiture: How to Keep the Government from Taking Your Fees & Your Client's Property, LACDL Law & All That Jazz Seminar, New Orleans, Louisiana (2018)
- Defending Civil and Criminal Forfeitures in Drug Cases, NACDL Drug Defense Seminar, Las Vegas, Nevada (2017)
- Demystifying and Fighting Forfeitures in Federal Court, Federal Bar Association, Criminal Law Committee, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (2015)
- Introduction to Criminal Forfeiture, Alexandria Bar Association, Alexandria, Virginia (2014)
- Twitter Basics for Lawyers, NACDL Forensic Conference, Las Vegas, Nevada (2014)
- Rocket Course on the Rocket Docket: Federal Criminal Practice in Alexandria, Alexandria Bar Association, Alexandria, Virginia (2013)